Mainstream media miss many stories. A good journalist has to look beyond the standard sources and political views to find the unexpected, the critical, the controversial.
- The best sources
- Alternative Press
- Alternative radio
- Human Rights
- Racism and the far right
- Third World Struggles
- Business criticism
- Media criticism
- Alternative Politics in Canada
- En français
The best alternative news:
- CorpWatch The best for corporate criticism
- Corpwatch. – issues
- CorporateWatch UK
Other business monitors:
- Global Witness Nobel Peace Prize-nominated group has in depth dossiers on everything from corruption in the oil business to blood diamonds. You can download the files or hunt through their press releases
- The Corporate Library Extensive site devoted to international corporate governance. The free services include news briefs. You can also do excellent company research on not just biographies of CEOs and board members, but also their salary, perks and sometimes even a copy of their contracts.
- See also JNet’s Business Criticism
- UN Wire
- ReliefWeb Consolidated web site of the international humanitarian community
- Alternet Alternate News Wire service, including Story leads
- Oneworld.net – Themes, by country
- Oneworld,net – News Today
- EcoNet Environment news and links
- Red Cross Alertnet
- Alternative Press Center Over 350 resources
- Comminit.com Excellent resource page for Information, ideas, linkages and dialogue on communication, development and change.
- Lycos List of Alternative Media
- Globalinfo News from Africa, Asia, Latin America and other developing regions prepared by journalists from those regions on a wide range of topics including the environment, trade, conflict, industry, human rights, gender, arts and culture. Free for two weeks, then for a modest price.
- LaborStart A well-organized site for the latest in labour and trade union news. While aimed at labour activists, it’s a handy tool for journalists. You can search for news by country and there are extensive archives.
- TomDispatch.com A daily weblog by author Tom Engelhardt
- Boulevard Links to many US print alternatives
- Inequality.org Delightful treasure chest of startling information on income inequalities. Includes a news section , a list of experts and a quote gallery (“To turn $100 in $110 is work. To turn $100 million into $110 million is inevitable” from Edgar Bronfman). Produced by a network of journalists and founded by James Lardner, a writer for US News and World Report.
- Third world traveler Alternative view of US politics, media, trade issues.
- UK librarians – BUBL UK academic site with wide selection by topic or country
- Behind the headlines A UK academic site that provides good resources and web pages for top stories in the news. Operated by the Resource Discovery Network, The RDN’s 30,000 resources are selected, catalogued and described by subject and information professionals drawn from over 60 UK education institutions.
- Transnationale – Dossiers
- Transnationale – Compagnies
- Transnationale – les managers
- Diplomatie Judiciare